On May 2nd, 2015 over 90 people gathered at the first Wisconsin Transgender Health Summit.
The WI Transgender Health Summit was organized by a number of transgender-identified and non-transgender identified community members who noticed that we need to know more about experiences of transgender folks in Wisconsin and their experiences accessing resources and health care.
Our goals for the Wisconsin Transgender Health Summit were is to:
- Bring community members and health care and social service providers together to start a dialogue about strategies to improve the lives of transgender people in Wisconsin
- Share data from a local assessments of transgender people in Wisconsin to inform the community and the work moving foward
- Build a coalition dedicated to improving the lives of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals in Wisconsin.
Our strategy is to amplify the voices of transgender and gender non-conforming community members in order to build supportive, inclusive community resources. We are doing this by:
- collecting data in transgender and gender non-conforming communities about their experiences and needs around community health and local resources
- initiating community dialogues to better understand the nuances of what is happening in trans* communities and how people are utilizing resources
- sharing this community-driven data with trans* community members, service providers, and organizations with the goal of informing future decision making about how to increase accessibility, to strengthen competency of services in the area, and increase the well-being of trans* communities
- gathering local individuals, providers, organizations, and others who want to meet the needs of trans and gender non-conforming folks by doing the work specified in the community needs assessment.
- developing sustainable infrastructure to carry this work into the future and continue the process of strategic interventions
Media Coverage of the Wisconsin Transgender Health Summit
Madison News Station WKOW 27 News Story
Co-Sponsors and Supporters
There are many who have supported this work in many different ways…with time, with resources, with finances, with passion. Here are some of the agencies that have supported this work and organizing the WI Transgender Health Summit.